KatePart + KDE 4.4 + QMutex & Co.

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.de
Fri Jul 10 14:56:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

I just read again through the bugreports and the kate part code. It seems to
me really over complex to have all this locking build into the part. Given a
quick look at qtcreator, which parses the sources, too, they can do all the
locking if at all outside of the qtextdocument/edit they use.

Could you try to do so, too, by just locking the main thread on the rare
occasions you change stuff on the part or handle the mutex locking in the
kdevelop application?

I think still, there a lots of hidden deadlocks and errors in katepart's
locking and no app beside kdevelop needs this.

It would be really cool, if it could be removed in the KDE 4.4 timeframe.

Greetings
Christoph