Messed-up encoding in doc-comments (in the popup-widget)

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Wed Jul 8 07:22:24 UTC 2009

Am Mittwoch 08 Juli 2009 08:46:15 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> On 08.07.09 08:07:38, David Nolden wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch 08 Juli 2009 00:16:55 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > > As selecting the right encoding for each file is not going to work for
> > > the background parser, I'm wondering wether maybe we should try to use
> > > th KEncodingProber class from kdelibs (IIRC thats the name of the newer
> > > one, using the algorithms developed by mozilla to detect the encoding)?
> >
> > This would slow down the parsing even more. So I guess we will have to
> > bother the user with the decision at some point.
>
> Hmm, good point, would be nice to have some stats though on how much the
> encoding-probing influences the parsing process.
>
> In addition to what I answered to Milian, we could also offer a way of just
> converting a given file into utf-8 if the user tells us the source
> encoding? That should actually be pretty easy with Qt's classes...
The question is if probing even works correctly with source-files, that
contain many non-plain characters.

We should definitely convert anything we get into utf-8 if we know it's
something else.

That encoding-conversion thing sounds like a useful utility, although it could
create quite a mess on larger projects when done on a per-file basis. It's
better when such a thing is solved project-wide.

Greetings, David