Create kdevelop3 product?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Jan 24 10:57:31 UTC 2009

On 23.01.09 20:40:43, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Friday 23 January 2009 19:12:52 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > to cleanup the mess in the kdevelop product I thought it could help to
> > move all stuff that doesn't exist in kdevelop4 into a new product
> > "kdevelop3". I'm currently already closing unmaintained stuff, but the
> > component list is still pretty long.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Which components need to be closed?

What implications does "close" have?

> I don't see how making a kdevelop3 product really solves any of this. I'd
> rather just close the unnecessary components.

See above, what happens with the reports? We could of course move all of
them to a "kdevelop3.x unmaintained" component.

>From a quick look the components that should probably be closed now:
all build tools
all editors
bookmarks part
qeditor
doctreeview
kdevelop2.x
UI:all modes
UI:childframe
UI:IDEAL
UI:tabbed
UI:toplevel

Basically thats the stuff that doesn't make sense for kdev3 or kdev4 and
(AFAIK) none of them has any open bugs.

When we release KDevelop4 I'd like to think again about closing all
KDevelop3-only components (i.e. partexplorer, distpart,
clearcase/perforce etc). Reason: Don't make users think anything in
these components gets ever fixed. I'm assuming here that we can re-open
the component later on.

You will reach the highest possible point in your business or profession.