Multithreading issues with C++ support?

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Thu Jan 22 00:15:07 UTC 2009

On Thursday 22 January 2009 10:50:08 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 22.01.09 00:17:46, David Nolden wrote:
> > Am Thursday 22 January 2009 00:00:44 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > > Unless you want to dive head-first into it (IIRC you've started your
> > > diploma work already) I'll check what languagesForUrl does, i.e. what
> > > classes it touches and try to work out with David where to start with
> > > this (answer will probably be: write a unit-test ;)
> >
> > Nope, I'm quite busy, and only doing casual fixes on C++ support, because
> > there noone else who could do those these days. :-)
>
> Ok, as this means that I currently have to do coding via vim I'm quite
> sure I'll look into this soon. Its really bothering as kdev4 is simply
> too unstable to use right now.

David Faure and I collaborated on the patch attached which makes ksycoca
thread safe, but there are other areas which aren't and it was both getting
too close to release and we didn't have enough time to finish + test in for
4.2.0.  Probably a point release.

The work that still needs doing is making KStandardDirs threadsafe.  David
Faure said we should write a unittest similar to the one he wrote for
kservicetest (but in kstandarddirstest.cpp), then use helgrind to see all the
races.

Cheers,
Hamish.