Buildset vs. Selection

Sat Jan 17 11:42:27 UTC 2009

On Saturday 17 Jan 2009 1:04:41 pm Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 16.01.09 23:17:45, David Nolden wrote:
> > I think ideally the build-set and selections should somehow be
> > integrated, so everything is totally clear.
> >
> > If you have a build-set then you should always build that. It should not
> > be possible to hide the build-set widget when the build-set is not empty.
> >
> > When you don't have content in the build-set, then the current selection
> > should be "mirrored" in the build-set widget in grey, so it's always
> > clear what you're about to build.
> >
> > Then you could have a single button to convert the selection into a
> > "real" build-set.
>
> That would make it quite a bit clearer when you're building what, nice
> idea.

I also think there should be an easy way to order the sequence of builds for
multiple projects. Actually, I think it is a little more complex when the
dependency requires that one project be built and installed before it can be
built.

Like for example, kdelibs requires that kdesupport is built _and_ installed
before kdelibs itself. I don't know how such requirements can be managed in a
clean way. Sorry if this has already been thought of and discussed.

One possible way could be

1) Any project opened automatically gets appended to the build set as the
default behaviour.
2) The user can reorder the entries in the build set which adjusts the order
the build.
3) The build set provides a checkbox for each entry which when checked
installs the target after its build before progressing to the next target.
This option is unchecked by default.

I have a couple of additional related thoughts too. I think it would help to
have a selection check box for each project in the project tree. When a new
project is added it is automatically selected too. But when unselected, all
associated targets in the buildset are also greyed out and hence neither built
not installed. Even the code completion cache for these projects could be
dumped in order to save some memory and not clutter the quick open dialog with
too many files.

What do you guys think? Is this possible?
--
Cheers!
Kishore