Buildset vs. Selection

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jan 15 22:39:37 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've just finished the "enable build actions on project selection" stuff
and now we've got a slight conflict. The actions in the Project menu so
far always built the buildset, now they can also build the selection.

The problem is: Buildset is preferred over selection and this might not
be that obvious. Imagine a user putting something into the buildset,
then hiding the set-widget and selecting a project. He might want to
have that project built, instead of the buildet.

One idea to fix this is to make the buildset only react to the buttons
on the buildset widget. This, however would mean no shortcuts for easily
building all from the buildset.

Another option would be to add a new submenu into Project called
"Buildset" and put new actions into that one for building the buildset.

Anybody with better ideas? Or should I just leave it as is (buildset
rules over selection) and assume that users able to use the buildset are
able to grasp that it might have precedence over selection?

Andreas

PS: Maybe a third way would be adjusting the action name and/or tooltip
to indicate its building the selection or buildset? (I'd rather do it in
the tooltip only though, changing action text in the menu is conisdered
bad AFAIK)

--
You're growing out of some of your problems, but there are others that
you're growing into.