Help offered

Lior Mualem lior.com at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 22:54:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 5:43 PM, David Nolden <
david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de> wrote:

> One more thing about the parsing-progress:
> Don't you see the progres-bar at the bottom? Although in my opinion, even
> this
> progress-bar can be annoying sometimes, because it really is no interesting
> information for the user, and disturbs the work. So it should be hidden by
> default, maybe just with a little indicator that "something" is happening,
> similar to KMail, maybe with the possibility to expand it to see the full
> progress.

I can see the progress bar below - and you're right that for normal editing,
it's quite annoying, to see it pops constantly.
I was talking about when parsing a new file or when a project loads and
we're parsing the entire project.
What comes to mind is the visual assist way of showing the progress report,
it performs background parsing for the entire project and updates the
progressbar below with the current file being parsed.
As a "normal" user - the one that uses KMail, I assume that such information
is useless and annoying but for a developer which is the primary audience
for KDevelop, such information is nice to have. I love having stuff that
simply "work" but I also like to know what happens in the background - where
do we currently stand with parsing of my project - but this is really a
"nice to have" feature.
What you mention - having a simply indicator and the ability to expand it
sounds reasonable.

This also leads me to something else, probably off-topic a little bit - When
checking the flag to parse the entire project, you'd expect that files that
I currently inspect will get a boost and will be parsed first, before it
continues to parse the entire project.
What happens is that for new big projects, I need to wait alot of time for
the parsing of the entire project to finish until I can browse the file I
currently work on. If this was implemented then there's really no need for
the progressbar, since the parsing will work as expected with minimum wait
and I would be less interested in knowing the current progress (then maybe
parsing the entire project could be turned on by default - but there are
probably other issues that should be addressed first).