Design of MRU-Navigation wrt. Split-Views

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Feb 16 11:48:32 UTC 2009

On 16.02.09 13:32:11, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On Sunday 15 February 2009 22:14:46 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > == Eclipse 3.4.1 ==
> > > - each mainwindow has its own navigation history
> > > - split views share the common navigation history:
> > > 	- opening file (in another split view) creates an entry in the common
> > > history
> >
> > So I'd have
> > foobar.cpp
> > foobar.cpp
> > When "split current document vertically"?
> Almost :) You need to force Eclipse to create new editor first, then split.
> But when you do so, Eclipse breaks its otherwise logical model. Its history
> doesn't differentiate between movements inside the same file in different
> split views.
> Hard to explain this, but you'll see when you try ;)

I think you misunderstood my proposal. I don't want navigation inside the
same editor, thats already done by the code-browser. All I want is a way to
switch between different editors/views directly. Thats what
Ctrl+Tab/BackTab do in eclipse, the only downside being that it doesn't
indicate which view it switches to in the case of the same file being
splitted.

> > > Netbean's MRU without "forward" button is ok, but it's rather unusual to
> > > see alt-tab'ish behavior in the editor.
> >
> > Well, I was actually going to do that too, using Ctrl+Tab/Ctrl+Shift+Tab to
> > switch forward/backward in the history. Or did I understand that wrong?
> No, imagine you don't have "ctrl-shift-tab" or "alt-shift-tab", only "alt-
> tab". And it behaves just like alt-tab in KWin.

I meant that you think its strange to have alt-tab'ish behaviour in an
editor.

Future looks spotty.  You will spill soup in late evening.