custom make, builddir != srcdir

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Feb 14 19:43:44 UTC 2009

On 14.02.09 14:34:32, David nolden wrote:
> Am Samstag 14 Februar 2009 14:22:15 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > Most cases? So far the only case is autotools, because for cmake you
> > don't need custom make support. And other Makefile's won't necessarily
> > have such a variable.
>
> The manager suggestion could be made after the source-directory has been
> picked. Then this would be useful even for cmake: Just select the build-
> directory instead of the source-directory, and you'll have a fully set up
> project.

Well, this would mean that we'd either:

- make extending kdevelop with a new buildsystem harder, because the
  open-project-dialog would need to know about such special variables in
  Makefile's in the builddir
- load all buildsystem plugins and let them check wether they can handle a
  builddir

Neither of the two is an option IMHO, we could add yet another property to
the desktop file naming a file and yet another naming a variable which the
dialog should look out for and if it exists use that manager. That would of
course make the dialog-code even more complex than it is right now and is
not worth the effort. Especially as cmake is currently the only buildsystem
that needs to ask for the builddir. Neither qmake (if its finished up) nor
custom makefiles need this.

Your lover will never wish to leave you.