Commit r1066661: "Make it possible to run kdevelop in gdb again"

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Dec 28 18:53:47 UTC 2009

On 28.12.09 18:22:26, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Montag 28 Dezember 2009 17:55:24 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > On 28.12.09 12:20:10, David Nolden wrote:
> > > I think that commit is not good. That way, when you start KDevelop
> > > without an argument and a session, two instances of KDevelop wills stay
> > > running, one of which wastes at least 100 MB of memory (a duchain
> > > repository is always loaded)
> > >
> > > Why is this even required? You can just start KDevelop and then attach to
> > > it ("gdb --pid `pidof kdevelop`").
> >
> > You can't debug startup code that way.
> >
> > > To debug the application startup, we can add a "--nofork" option.
> >
> > Then one would need to set the session as envvar right? Thats not an
> > option either.
>
> No, it just wouldn't use a session-specific duchain directory in that case.

But then I can try to debug problems with the session-specific duchain
directory.

I'm starting to think that having the duchain in static code loaded
before everything else is the real problem here. If that wasn't the case
we wouldn't need this obscure env var and any extra process.

Be careful!  UGLY strikes 9 out of 10!