proposal for kdevelop.org new website design

Sam S. smls75 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 19:50:30 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Niko Sams <niko.sams at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
> Yes, not only the home is important...
> What I miss here are the Support and How To Participate boxes, they
> contain important
> links and should not be reachable only though home.

These three boxes are not part of the overall website menu structure,
but rather they are special convenience "links collections"/"entry
points" for specific actions a visitor might want to take after
opening the www.kdevelop.org front page.
Everything that's linked to here can be also (directly or indirectly)
reached through the top or left menu.

> I'm in favor of breadcrumbs, additionally the search-box below the tabs looks
> good. But I still don't like the "Welcome to..." text on the home.

Why not? Visually or content-wise?
As I figure it, a visitor will either read it and feel welcomed &
confirmed for coming here, or he will just ignore it, it which case it
won't matter either...
It's not like it's very big and distracting.

> How will the search be implemented - using google? If so, don't we need
> to place a google logo somewhere here?

Google allows the logo to be shown *inside* the search box, as shown
in the current mockup. So nothing to worry.

> One more thing: what's > 1024px width? fixed width and just cut off?

I was until now just assuming "stretch to fit", 'cause that is what
the current website does... Do you think that will be a problem?
I'm confident it'll still look good on most 1280 px and similar displays.
I do realise that it might look a little weird in fullscreen on a
2560x1440-px 27-inch display... whoever surfs the web on such a
display, using a maximized browser window, is really to blame on their
own, though.