KDevelop4 UI

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Tue Dec 22 14:02:15 UTC 2009

Vladimir Prus, 22.12.2009:
> On Tuesday 22 December 2009 03:00:56 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > >
> > > While we're talking about usability...
> > >
> > > Most (if not all) of the default keyboard shortcuts for the debugger
> > > (the typical Step Into, Step Over, Step Out, and Continue operations)
> > > clash with the default shortcuts of the editor, so I can't use them;
> > > I get a popup saying there is a shortcut conflict.
> >
> > Yeah, I suggest to take that to the katepart authors. IMHO its complete
> > nonsense to write a "embeddable-everywhere" editing component with such a
> > ridiculous amount of default shortcuts. It shouldn't have any shortcuts
> > at all except moving cursor and copy/paste.
>
> I though that Alexander has implemented shortcut schemes for kdelibs, that
> should allow us to define our own scheme overriding whatever Kate has
> imposed.
>
> However, last time I heard it was still on the way to trunk -- has that
> happened?

Is in trunk afaik (i.e. also in 4.4 betas), but imo those shortcuts really
should not overwrite too many of Kate's shortcuts. I bet many users are
accustomed to Kate shortcuts (and don't bother to change them). Hence
overwriting them in KDevelop doubles the required learning effort. And new
users will have to learn some shortcuts anyways, so if possible pick some that
are not already taken...
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de