GetForeGround window in Linux application

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sat Aug 22 14:05:42 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Sundaram <ds_sundar at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>
> On 22.08.09 17:54:33, Sundaram wrote:
>

>  Dear Sir,
>
>             I am developing a plugin for firefox browser. I am using
> XPCOM to interact with the browser. In have to get the input from
> the user in a Dialog window. I have to show the dialog as modal
> dialog. How do i do this?
>
> Please help me
>

>  You've picked the wrong list to send to. This list is about development
> of KDevelop the IDE. If you have questions about firefox I suggest you
> look for help on www.mozilla.com/firefox
>
> Andreas
>

>  Dear Andreas Pakulat,
>
>           Thanks you verymuch for your reply. Actually i am developing a
> plugin component for firefox using the XPCOM technology. I windows OS , i
> have done using the ActiveX technology. I will tell you what  i have done in
> Windows.
>
> In Windows.
>           I have created a activex dll which will be registered in the
> client's computer. Whenever the user go to my web application page, in the
> button click event i will create object for my activex component and i will
> call a function in the dll. I used VS 6.0 for development.  Inside that
> function i have created a dialogbox and show  that dialog box to the user.
> It is a modal dialog box. The Internet Explorer will be the parent window
> for my dialog. To get the Internet Explorer window handle, i used
> GetForegroundWindow() function avaible in the Win32 API. Once i get the IE'
> window handle, i will set this handle as my parent window of my dialogbox.
> Now  I need to achive this in Linux.
>
> In Linux :
>
>           XPCOM is the equivalent for the ActiveX. I am able to create a
> .so file using XULRunner SDK and able to call the function via firefox
> browser. I have created a small function which will return  a string to the
> calling function. Every thing is working fine. Now the next step is, I need
> to create a dailogbox inside my function, and need to show my dialogbox as a
> modal window of the firefox browser. To create dialogbox i am using the
> KDevelop IDE. Is there any function like GetForegroundWindow like in
> Win32API for Linux? Hope now you understand my problem.

What andreas is trying to tell you is that here we only discuss stuff
related to the KDevelop IDE itself and you're wondering about a library that
has nothing to do about us.

((Note that in UNIX the development is not so tied to the IDE as it is in
Windows, for instance))

If you're using KDE technologies you might want to ask the KWin guys, if not
just chech the X11 API. We're definitely not your guys, sorry. :P

Good luck,
Aleix