Php Beta1? Was: Re: Beta5 Done

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Fri Aug 21 10:44:03 UTC 2009

Andreas Pakulat, 20.08.2009:
> On 20.08.09 22:15:10, Milian Wolff wrote:
> > Andreas Pakulat, 20.08.2009:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've just uploaded the tarballs. So Beta5 is on its way and trunk is
> > > unfrozen again.
> > >
> > > @Amilcar: Do you need a text for the kdevelop.org announcement? I don't
> > > think we need to make a real big fuzz about this beta.. I won't be
> > > doing a dot-article and just a small blog entry tomorrow or saturday...
> >
> > Hey Niko, what do you think, should we prepare some kind of package and
> > tag a beta1 of the PHP Plugin? I mean there is still a hack lot of shit
> > to do, but I think we already have something we can show others. And
> > looking at IRC and my blog, more and more people seem to use it, even
> > though they have to build it all from SVN... Making it actually easy for
> > people to have it packaged or something would be really nice I think...
>
> As was said "alpha" would probably be better.
>
> > @ amilcar / apaku: Is there any HOWTO on the release-business?
>
> Not really, we've rougly been following what KDE does, announce a freeze
> (ok only the last 3 betas had one) a bit ahead of time, freeze it and
> test it in the 2-3 days so grave bugs are being fixed. Then I create a
> tag (thats a simple matter of svn cp https:/..../kdevelop
> https://..../tags/kdevelop/<version>), check out the tag, use svn export
> to create a clean dir. Then come's tarring the directory and checking it
> compiles on a system where no kdevelop is installed. (I have 2 systems
> for that currently, one with kde 4.2 and one with trunk). I do a quick
> last test-run, then I upload the tarballs to KDE's ftp server via ssh
> (got an account between beta3 and beta4) and send out mails to everybody
> (usually the -devel list and kde-packager list) involved. The last 2
> betas also had a dot-announcement, which basically means writing up some
> text, posting it at dot.kde.org in the right form and then finding
> someone on IRC who can 'run the queue' so it'll get
> reviewed/spell-checked and put online.

Well, I don't think a dot story is called for right now, maybe for the first
beta ;-)

> > I never tagged
> > anything in SVN and don't have a clue hat I'd need to do except for
> > creating a tarball and sending it to the right person... Who'd be that
> > right person even?
>
> You could just let me know which of the above parts you want to handle
> yourself and how you'd like the tarball to be named (I guess just
> php-0.9.80 for alpha 1 is a bit too general, probably needs a kdevelop
> or so in there). I can take care of creating a tarball, providing it
> for download to you and Niko so you can do some testing for a day or two
> and then upload it to KDE servers (syncing from the upload server to the
> public ftp's usually takes a night or so).

I'd really appreciate if you could help me doing as much as possible myself.
Though uploading or stuff like that where I'd need more rights would be great
if you could do.

So my TODO is:
a) fix some more bugs over the weekend
b) create a tarball
c) try to build it on some PCs, I got at least two to check on, but both are
x86, no amd64 to test...
d) tag the stuff
e) send it to you
f) wait for you to upload it
g) send some mails to kde-devel and maybe kde-packager lists
z) world domination

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de