Plugin entry criteria

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Aug 11 07:48:36 UTC 2009

On 10.08.09 20:58:04, Matt Rogers wrote:
> I was wondering if there were criteria established that provided guidelines to
> developers as to the requirements necessary for a plugin to go into
> KDevPlatform.
>
> The reason I ask is because I've seen two plugins enter kdevplatform with no
> review that the larger development community is aware of

Just curious: Which ones?

>, and at least one plugin that could potentially be moved to
>kdevplatform (or kdevelop proper) that's still in playground.
>
> Do we want to enforce review rules for plugins a la kdereview or not?

Hmm, this probably makes sense for people that don't regurlarly work on
the codebase, when moving plugins into one of the two trunk/KDE modules.

Generally the criteria to have any plugin in the two modules in
trunk/KDE is that its well maintained and useful. For KDevPlatform the
additional requirement exists that it needs to be useful not only for
KDevelop, but also other IDE's based on KDevPlatform. In particular
stuff for compiling certain types of projects, editing .ui files,
debugging compiled applications etc. are not supposed to be in
kdevplatform.

(This also means that documentview and grepview will move sometime
before the release).

Your aims are high, and you are capable of much.