Automatic color chooser

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Sun Aug 9 10:33:05 UTC 2009

Am Sonntag 09 August 2009 12:10:31 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > Creating a library for 100 LOCs is overkill, makes maintainment more
> > complicated rather than easier,
>

> Thats wrong, any code thats shared via copy+paste is less matinainable then
> code shared via a library or maybe just inline in a header file. Obviously
> with copy+paste a fix/change in one copy will seldomly move over to all
> other copies.
But this is very simple and well working code. When moving it into a shared
place, a following fix/change in the library may break 10 places where the fix
was not tested properly. This makes maintainment much more complicated, as you
cannot change the code the way you like, and have to always be frightened that
someone else breaks the carpet you're standing on. It's essentially the
typical KDE madness we're seeing all day. ;-)

> > and reduces flexibility to a minimum by introducing one more API layer in
> > between.
>
> Usually reduced flexibility shows that the API isn't used in enough places
> and not mature enough. You can create a flexible API also in a shared
> library.

Yes sure, but the API may become bigger then the actual code it is hiding. So
from an economical point of view, considering the work you have to put into
such a clean API, it may well not be worth it.

Anyway if someone wants to create an API for that code, I'm not objected.
kdelibs/kdeui would be a good place.

Greetings, David