toolbar icons

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Aug 6 10:28:46 UTC 2009

On 06.08.09 09:07:38, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 06 August 2009 08:48:09 schrieb Niko Sams:
> > On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 22:06, Aleix Pol<aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> > IMHO we should keep the text as it's a global kde setting.
> > But we need to create a good default set of buttons.
>
> That doesn't mean we have to obey it. The default KDE application is not an
> IDE, so those globals don't have to be tailored against our needs. We should
> build the best possible default UI.
>
> So we have to answer the question: Does it make sense to show text with each
> toolbar icon in an IDE, while the same space could be used for showing the
> function you're currently editing instead?
>
> Does it make sense to waste vertical space that could be used to show one more
> line of code in the editor instead?
>
> Which increases the productivity more? To me the answer is clear.

To me its not as crystal clear, because I'm not a newbie user that hasn't
ever used KDevelop (or even an IDE) before. To such a person I think all
the icons don't mean anything (hell even to me the icon for the filesystem
view has no meaning, if I didn't knew its the filesystem view). Thats the
crowd we need to optimize the default installation for - IMHO.

The people that are used to any KDevelop version will find out how to
change the toolbar to be icons-only easily.

Best of all is never to have been born.  Second best is to die soon.