toolbar icons

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Aug 5 20:06:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 9:58 PM, David Nolden <
david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de> wrote:

> Now with the new quickopen- and context-browser stuff, it becomes more and
> more apparent that the default mode for icons in the kdevelop toolbar
> should
> be "Icons Only".
>
> I'm getting tired of seeing wasty screenshots like this
> http://frinring.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/binspektpart-in-kdevelop.pngin
> the internet. The default UI should be better than that, something like
> this
> http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/8485/kdev4uinew.png, just with some
> additional more useful icons.
>
> Other toolbar modes waste tons of vertical space, which is not acceptable
> in a
> productivity-oriented IDE, and they also waste a lot of horizontal space,
> which is used much better by the context-browser and quickopen line.
>
> So what do you think?
>
> Apart from that, that screenshot shows that the toolbar area switchers are
> still there. Isn't it time to remove those?

So how do you want to change the area?

> Greetings, David

I'm not sure i like to have 2 lineedits there either :P wouldn't it be
possible to merge them in some way?

In general I agree we should limit to a minimum (like that we want only 1
line of icons). I think it would rock to have per-area toolbars as well,
even if I've been told it's not easy at all.

Thanks,
Aleix