Project Dashboards

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Aug 3 13:58:34 UTC 2009

On 03.08.09 09:39:01, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> Milian Wolff wrote:
> >> The rest of stuff to have integrated is not urgent imho.
> (like cia.vc
> >> <http://cia.vc>, mailing lists, irc). Chat could easily be
> integrated
> >> through Decibel, I'm not sure what would be the integration
> here, though.
> >
> > Integration is nice, but using Decibel in KDevelop is total
> overkill and
> > nothing I personally want. So let me stress that once more: In
> KDevelop
> > just show a list of contributors with ways to contact them.
> The
> > information for that would be in a .xml file describing the
> project.
> > That file should also be hosted in the VCS.
> >
> > Then in the list in KDevelop I can e.g. hit the mail button
> next to
> > "apol" and it will open (for me at least) kmail with your
> email adress
> > filled in. And when I hit the ICQ icon of any contributor with
> ICQ (or
> > MSN or Jabber or ...) it opens (again: for me) Kopete.
> >
> > I don't need Kopete in Kdevelop. I don't need Kmail in
> KDevelop. I just
> > need a way to contact people fast and easy.
> >

> Why not have developers create vCards, then import those to the
> address book and then use that to launch PIM apps or Kopete?

Because that would mean we're

- depending on kdepim/kdenetwork
- don't allow the user to choose which pim-app or chat-client he wants to
  use

Its nice to tightly integrate with the desktop, but for that you need to do
it at the lowest level. Which in this case means opening a url like
"foo at bar.com" for sending an email - AFAIK. Not sure how to handle opening
a chat-client, would Decibel be a cross-desktop solution for that?

A long-forgotten loved one will appear soon.

Buy the negatives at any price.