Test area?

Alexander Dymo alexander.dymo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 12:50:10 UTC 2009

Hey,
we've been discussing here whether we need Test area and leaning
towards removing it. The reason for that is that you usually write and
run tests at the same time as you write the code (or even before the
code if you're TDD addict ;)).

>From my several years experience writing tests for my Ruby
applications, I'm sure that I don't want to switch to another area to
run my tests. I know of three usecases for tests:
1) run a test for function I'm currently writing or changing
2) run a test for class/file/module I'm currently writing or changing
3) run all tests for the application

First two usecases definitely need not the separate area. Last one
only takes more time to complete. But that's not a different activity
for me - it's just some background activity. And again, I don't need
to switch to different area just to do this background job.

So, is it ok to remove the test area?