KDE/kdevplatform

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Apr 24 21:35:03 UTC 2009

On 24.04.09 23:15:34, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Freitag 24 April 2009 23:05:41 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > On 24.04.09 19:56:40, Aleix Pol Gonzalez wrote:
> > > SVN commit 958829 by apol:
> > >
> > > New framestackwidget interface, separed with 2 views: threads and
> > > framelist.
> >
> > So we have one view for threads and one for the stack? I'd find it nicer
> > if both where in the same tree, having a stack under each thread (if the
> > thread is not running)
>
> Did you try actually using it?

Not yet and as it stands probably not very soon, run framework keeps me
occupied.

> We came to the conclusion that the tree version
> has serious usability problems that cannot be fixed easily, especially when
> the backtraces are long. With this version, you go down the backtrace just by
> using the mouse-wheel instead of clicking ellipsis lines, and you can much
> easier switch between different threads.

I don't see how ellipsis play a role here, regarding long backtraces its
IMHO easy enough to click into the backtrace and hit backspace to close
the thread.

My main problem with two views is that this means I again have to decide
what I want to see at a given time and I have to switch toolviews. I
always want to see the stackframe, I also want to see the current
source. I definetly want to see the variables. And I also want to see
the apps output in most cases. So with this I have left, bottom and
right area used. If I now want to show the threads, then I have to
switch one of them.

And scrolling with the weel can also easily be done in a tree, thats no
problem. I'm using the one-view for processes+threads+stack almost every
day in eclipse and I find it very usable actually.

Tuesday After Lunch is the cosmic time of the week.