Breakpoints

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Wed Apr 15 19:31:50 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 15 April 2009 22:57:09 Niko Sams wrote:

> I have another use-case:
> a project with 2 unit-tests (2 targets). If I switch the target I don't want to
> loose all breakpoints

Where the breakpoints are? If they are in the unit tests proper, then it's
fine if they per-config. If they are in a shared library, or code that is
otherwise shared between unit tests, then indeed, we better have this
breakpoint stick.

In other words, giving a list of *all* breakpoints and a debug session, there
should be a way to classify each breakpoint as either:

1. Breakpoint that is inserted
2. Breakpoint that is not inserted yet, but might be inserted when some shared
  lib is loaded
3. Breakpoint that run into a hard problem
4. Breakpoint that is not relevant to debug session

1 and 3 are easy -- it is distingushing 2 and 4 that is hard. Note that Eclipse
also tries to do that -- it has "Show breakpoints Supported By Selected Target"
button in breakpoint window -- but the code that tries to guess that is scary.

Maybe, as 0-th approximation we can group breakpoints by programming language?
We can refine it further.

- Volodya