Breakpoints

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Wed Apr 15 19:09:18 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 15 April 2009 22:37:08 Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > Also I don't see this being needed at all, a debug plugin, when starting an
> > > app, can see _all_ breakpoints that have ever been set by the user. It can
> > > then try to set all of them,
> >
> > And then will get errors setting half of them, and will display breakpoints
> > as problematic in breakpoint widget, and users will wonder what broke.
>
> Or they might realize that the breakpoints that are not "active" simply
> don't belong to the application(s) that have been launched. As I said
> before, popping up message boxes when a breakpoint cannot be set is not a
> good way to inform the user of that.

No message boxes are popped up -- visual indicator in breakpoint widget is
used.

> The breakpoints already have a "set
> but not yet active" visual state, so we should make use of that.

That's how it's done *now*, but this is not solution to scales to the
case where you have 100 different breakpoints, half of which cannot
be inserted.

> > Anyway, it seems like we're not getting closure via email -- can we schedule
> > a real time chat -- say IRC or Skype?
>
> You mean regarding a "Current launch config"?

Not only that -- generally, how to keep 100 breakpoints without showing them
all and informing the user there's some problem with 95 of them.

> We won't reach a conclusion
> on IRC over that anyway. IMHO its wrong and I won't change my mind and
> there's at least one other IDE out there that doesn't have a "current
> launch config" or "current debug session". And debugging in that IDE works
> quite well, even if its not java.

Do you mean Eclipse? I happen *work* on CDT, so I both deal with a number of
bug reports regarding how that IDE works quite well (at least for ordinary users),
and also know how it's implemented. The handling of breakpoints is definitely
not something I want to have cloned in kdevelop.

- Volodya