State of codehighlighting.cpp

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Apr 15 18:41:16 UTC 2009

On 15.04.09 20:22:12, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 April 2009, David Nolden wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch 15 April 2009 19:02:28 schrieb Milian Wolff:
> > > 3. Couldn't the whole process be simplified somehow? For example by
> > > setting a few defaults for white background / black foreground. Then for
> > > custom kate color schemes we adapt our defaults according to a algorithm
> > > of our choice.
> > >
> > > I'm currently writing a little test-app for different color agorithms, if
> > > you know any good ones, please let me know!
> > >
> > > I'll also implement the current algorithm to see how it fares.
> >
> > What do you mean by "color algorithms"? All the code in there does is
> > generating a predefined set of colors, that differ as much as possible from
> > each other, using the color wheel(try the HSV color model in gimp to see it
> > illustrated). There's not more you can do.
>
> Why not create a set of predefined colors? That is: pick some colors by hand
> and "hardcode" them. I don't see why we need to do that automatically, esp.
> when the amount is fixed. Or should that one day be variable?

Because then we'd need to have a way for the use to configure these colors
and a way to store them as schemes. However, if we can make the colors
"simply work" with whatever scheme for kate/kde the user has chosen thats a
much preferable solution as it requires absolutely 0 work from the user.

Never reveal your best argument.