Breakpoints

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Wed Apr 15 16:41:32 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 15 April 2009 14:25:13 Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > Hmm, isn't it rather the debugger that sets it.

> > > But I don't see why you'd need to know the config for doing that.
> >
> > Well, I hope you'll agree that we need some mechanism of understanding
> > what breakpoints are irrelevant for the current debug session.
>
> If you meant to say "current debug sessions" (i.e. plural form) then yes I
> agree.

Whilst I believe the plural form is a can of worms that better not be opened,
the mechanism are the same regardless of whether one or multiple debug
sessions are allowed.

> > > Then how do you imagine that the user explains KDevelop which breakpoint
> > > should be used with which config?
> >
> > We'll have current launch config -- we already have it, and other IDEs have
> > it too. Newly added breakpoints are associated with the current launch config.
>
> No, we have a "default run", which is executed if you don't choose a
> different one. But if I debug two applications at the same time, I don't
> want to have to switch the "current launch config" each time something
> happens in the other app.

How often do you debug two applications at the same time?

> Also I don't see this being needed at all, a debug plugin, when starting an
> app, can see _all_ breakpoints that have ever been set by the user. It can
> then try to set all of them,

And then will get errors setting half of them, and will display breakpoints
as problematic in breakpoint widget, and users will wonder what broke.

Anyway, it seems like we're not getting closure via email -- can we schedule
a real time chat -- say IRC or Skype?

- Volodya