[Patch] Ui cleanups for Project View plugin

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Apr 14 16:01:32 UTC 2009

On 14.04.09 15:18:04, Sean Harmer wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 April 2009 15:07:08 Aleix Pol wrote:
> > This is not really correct. It already was a QTreeView some time ago and it
> > was changed to QTreeView on purpose (by Andreas, you will have a better
> > in-sight on that one).
> Ok. I'll wait to hear back from Andreas then as I can't see any advantage to
> using a QTableView and the tree view looks nicer. But then again I am likely
> missing something. ;-)

I haven't looked at the patch yet, so can't comment on the "looks
nicer". But one reason for having a table instead of a treeview is that
I don't need a treeview for this. A QTreeView has a lot of added
implementation complexity that is simply not needed for a plain table.
Yes I know its most probably not noticeable (not even with 100 items in
it), but if I want to display a table, then a table view is the right
thing to use.

One visual reason that I now recall is that with a tableview I have a
grid and I can have a different color on every other role. That improves
readability of the data IMHO - especially if it is small.

> > On the ordering buttons, why don't we let it to be ordered by drag&drop
> > instead of these (ugly) buttons?
> Hmmm yes why not? Or at the very least make the buttons flat like the ones
> above the project view widget.

The reason I didn't do that is simply that I want something that works
without putting too much effort into it. I haven't ever done D'n'D on a
Qt view, so no idea how complex it is, but in any case its far more
complex than implementation of the four buttons.

But even if we have drag'n'drop, the buttons need to stay. Drag'n'drop
is not very usable for certain people, especially with such small items
as in the view down there.

A tall, dark stranger will have more fun than you.