Boost libraries

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Apr 11 10:02:29 UTC 2009

On 11.04.09 09:10:21, Lior Mualem wrote:
> Are there any project wide restrictions on using boost libraries?

No, we had a dependency on boost when the teamwork plugin was in trunk,
but thats gone since quite some time now.

The only thing thats a bit problematic with boost is that kdelibs ships
its own FindBoost, which is much worse at finding boost than the one
thats shipped with CMake 2.6.2 or 2.6.3. I'll have to talk to Alex about
removing the one in kdelibs, but if thats not yet possible I suggest to
copy the one from cmake 2.6.3 into kdevplatform/cmake/modules.

> Specifically I want to use boost::multi_index_container.
> On the contrary, if anyone knows of a KDE / QT equivalent, I'd appreciate it.

One possibility would be to store multiple standard containers. I'm
guessing the content of the container would be duchain-stuff, and thats
usually refcounted (IIRC), so there shouldn't be much memory overhead
when doing that.

However I can see how that would be a bit inconvenient, so feel free to
use the boost container.

So this is it.  We're going to die.