Breakpoints

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 20:10:32 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Vladimir Prus <ghost at cs.msu.su> wrote:
> I think the big question is not whether the C++ class implementing the breakpoint
> model is the same for all debuggers, or not. The question is whether there's a single
> breakpoint model instance in KDevelop session. Because it a breakpoint is given
> a pile of breakpoints, some of which are for different projects, or different
> launchers, it might very well be confused. In particular, current breakpoint
> widget has a 'state' column, that can be either 'dirty' or 'synchronized'. This
> is somewhat important for C++, since breakpoints in shared libraries are not resolved
> until shared libraries are loaded, and it would be nice to see if that worked out.
Why can't the BreakpointWidget ask the current DebugSession about this state?

> If breakpoint model includes breakpoints from all project, breakpoint widget cannot
> figure which breakpoints *should* be inserted, and cannot meaningfully show state.
But on the other hand it might be useful to set a breakpoint in a
library and start the
application (differnt project).

> Maybe, the right solution would be to explicitly introduce 'current launch config',
> make breakpoints be associated with a config by default, and show only breakpoints
> in the current config. We might need 'global' breakpoints -- but I'd suggest not
> doing this until we see obvious need.
Do we have always a launch config? What I'm thinking of - a xdebug
session that is started
by navigating around in an external browser - we don't neccesarily
have a launch config for that (?)

So the question is, where should breakpoints get stored:
- per launch config (if you switch launch config breakpoints are
removed/restored)
- per project (there is just one set of breakpoints per project)

Niko