KDE/kdevplatform

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Sat Apr 4 23:06:53 UTC 2009

Am Sonntag 05 April 2009 00:27:03 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> On 04.04.09 21:05:13, David Nolden wrote:
> > SVN commit 949307 by zwabel:
> >
> > Add "Open Project for Current Url" functionality, that automatically
> > opens a .kdev4 file if there is one in the parent directories. Add menu
> > item.
>
> Hmm, whats the use-case? Opening a file via kdevelop foo.cpp and then
> opening the related project?
>
> What if the .kdev4 file is not inside the source tree - that seems to be
> a pretty common thing, IIRC we have at least 2 bugreports complaining
> about the fact that kdevelop puts its files into the sourcedir.
>
> Quite frankly with the recently-opened-projects menu and the automatic
> reloading, I'm not sure this feature is something we really need. Just
> because we can do something technically doesn't mean we should have it.

It is very convenient, because you can easily open any file on the disk using
quickopen(A lot faster then using some menus), or you can have files open from
your last session, and this way it's only 1 click to get the related project
opened as well.

If the .kdev4 file is somewhere else, then the file-open dialog will open.

The basic motivation to create this is the assistant I'm creating to solve the
"include file not found" problem. Possible treatments, in this order:
- Open related project
- Set build-dir for related project if none is set
- Set custom include paths

Also I would like KDevelop to scale nicely, from simple file-
editing/debugging, up to a full IDE. So I thought it would also be useful
having this as a menu action.

You should be able to just open any source file as if it was kate, work on it,
and when you feel you need more you can start using the other offered parts.

Also, once the install/source mapping is implemented, it will be very easy to
jump into another project using normal code-navigation. It's convenient then
being able to open the project with just one click, instead of manually
selecting the directory.

Another usecase is the debugger: It can as well bring you into any source
files on your disk, and this will allow you to open the related project
conveniently.

You may say that opening the project is not much of a hassle, but when I'm in
the fast keyboard-enabled kdevelop workflow, then having to switch to the
mouse and do those 10 clicks is a very annoying thing.

Greetings, David