Run Configurations API and GUI

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Sat Apr 4 17:38:19 UTC 2009

On Saturday 04 April 2009 19:03:05 Niko Sams wrote:
> > I think this model will work nice for regular things, but might have problems
> > with "irregular" launches. E.g. you have mentioned starting a webbrowser. It
> > does not really fit here. But notice how Eclipse does it -- it as an 'external tool'
> > mechanism. It is completely independent from regular launch framework -- it's just
> > something that can be executed and has generally custom GUI. I guess we can use
> > this approach too.
> For XDebug (a php debugger) we need just like for an C++ application
> run, debug, profile. Even
> if the application is started by opening an external webbrowser. The
> debugger/profiler plugins
> need the possibility to add GET-parameters to the url - to activate
> debugging/profiling.

Well, this seem to fit the model quite well. I presume you can implement
new PHPLauncher class that will report itself as capable to run, debug
and profile. Then, new "PHP Application" configuration type has to be created,
which will use PHPLauncher for run, debug and profile by default. And PHP
launcher has to provide UI page where GET parameters can be specified.

> And what we need for web-stuff is a possibility for at least two launchers:
> - start an external webbrowser
> - run in an internal webbrowser (something like OutputView for html)

Is this still for PHP application, or something independent?

> ...what about Unit-Tests? Are those normal launchers? It must be
> possible to debug/profile a unit test.

I think unit test is pretty standard native application. Or, alternatively,
we can have "Whatever test" launch config type that will allow to specify
additional parameters -- like the list of the specific tests to run -- and
otherwise act as ordinary application, and have the same set of UI widgets
that ordinary application has.

- Volodya