How to dynamically enable/disable menu actions on-demand

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Apr 3 12:54:43 UTC 2009

On 03.04.09 10:40:08, David Nolden wrote:
> The context-menu does have some problems with this, I find it very annoying
> that it takes so long to show up. I guess that's because of the VCS checks?

Possibly, should be easy to find out by removing the vcs plugins you don't
need for a project.

> We need to make those faster by caching the information somewhere.

Maybe, but first I'd like to know which exact part is slow and wether are
other ways, you know caching always brings the headache of when to update
the cache with it and in case of VCS thats not that easy to solve.

> IMO it would be ideal anyway to configure the VCS stuff on a per-project
> basis, and do the checks max. once at each startup to update it.

We already have 1 VCS as "project vcs" (currently auto-configured during
startup, no gui to change). However all VCS plugins get a chance to look at
a given project because you might have a project thats versioned with 2 vcs
systems. For example git for some local development or maybe just parts of
the project and svn for comitting to a larger repo or other parts...

> Just by the way, although unrelated, I think we should also add those VCS menu
> entries into some place in the main menu, since I think it's wrong and
> inconsistent having stuff accessible only through the context-menu(No keyboard
> accelerators, low discoverability, etc.)

Sure, except that I'm not so sure about having either 4 new top-level menus
(one per plugin) or having 1 wiht 4 submenus in it. Both don't look very
appealing to me :)

You will be run over by a beer truck.