Nightly test runs from 2008-09-24_01:15:01

M Breugelmans mbr.nxi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 22:32:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 4:01 PM, David Nolden <zwabel at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Just a general concern: While I like all the testing very much to find
> regressions, we still have to practice a tradeoff between creating
> tests and keeping stuff hackable. KDevelop is still in a very early
> phase, and a lot is going to change, so imo it doesn't make sense to
> create tests for _everything_, especially not for those parts that
> will anyway be turned upside down. It seems that this applies to large
> parts of the user interface. Imo tests should only be created for
> stuff that we consider _ready_, else the tests will just increase the
> resistance to finish these parts.

That largely depends on the quality of your suite. Strong tests will
encourage you to make changes, crappy ones will hold you back. People
even invented a name for this anti-pattern: FragileTest. Admittedly it
is not so easy to write robust tests, plus imo it requires more effort
the longer you wait.

Manuel