Hash class problem

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Sep 23 12:53:51 UTC 2008

On 23.09.08 14:20:11, Marek Jasovsky wrote:
> > I wouldn't mind having a cross-platform hash class in our utils library,
> > for cases when QHash doesn't fit the bill. OTOH currently all platforms
> > that people actively compile kdevelop on (linux+win32) are covered,
> > because they can use hash_map from gcc or msvc, which even have the same
> > API. So unless someone wants to do "the work" to make our code "more"
> > crossplatform for future mac/solaris ports I guess we can live with what
>
> what compilers actually should be used on win32 platform to compile the
> whole stuff?

I'm using MSVC 2005 (currently a commercial one, I've used the express
edition on my last tries about a year ago, not a real difference).

> you mentioned msvc but this is free only in express ed and I am
> not sure, if this is a good choice for that.

Why wouldn't it be? Basically it boils down to: Which compiler is
properly supported, especially by KDevelops dependencies. And the answer
is simply that only MSVC is supported.

> shouldn't we only use gcc for that?

Not until MingW 4.3 is declared stable, maybe they can then finally fix
all the compiler bugs that were introduced by the porting from unix to
win32. I've tried to build kde4 with mingw and it requires quite some
adventurous workarounds to not trigger ICE's. Apart from that,
subversion only delivers MSVC libraries to link against and has a
MSVC-only buildsystem for win32, so svn support in KDevelop/win32 is a
no-go with mingw. Making svn build with mingw means porting their
buildsystem to cmake or something else and then porting their
dependency, in particular the apache portable runtime too - far too much
work.

Of course you have a purpose -- to find a purpose.