Documentation pluin (was Re: Status of the Source Formatter plugin)

Alexander Dymo dymo at ukrpost.ua
Fri Sep 12 07:14:07 UTC 2008

On Thursday 11 September 2008 21:51:35 Cedric Pasteur wrote:
> Right now, I plan to start woring on the documentation plugin. If there's
> another plugin more 'critical' for the future 4.0 that needs some love,
> please tell me.

Yeah, as Andreas says, filecreate would be more important. But should you
start working on doc plugin, here's my experience with the one I wrote for
KDev3. Hope that helps.

Good things:
- modular architecture with doc format plugins
- automatic discovery of installed documentation (it's not that hard as it
sounds, but that code has to be now updated to match newer distributions)
- index with caching and optimizations

Bad things:
- documentation tree was the default display for the plugin (no idea who uses
doc tree, it should be there of course, but I think the default view should be
- kdevtoc format
it's a good idea in theory but in practice it doesn't work, it just pollutes
the documentation tree and requires constant updates
- it should be easier to add documentation (ideally right from the doc tree
instead of configuration dialog like in kdev3)
- full-text search with htdig
it requires setup, hence it's completely useless, we need to use something
built-in (like strigi) for indexing local documentation, not htdig
- no Google search
- Index and Search are two different tabs/interfaces
the difference between them is minimal, we need to merge that into the single
interface that would immediatelly show results from disk index and
asyncronously do local and Google search

Undecided things and problems:
- documentation should reflect the set of features you're currently using in
the IDE. KDev3 asks the project which language is set up for the project and
shows only docs for that language. KDev4 doesn't have such luxury - our
projects are now multilingual. Also the user can now open some file in some
language at any time and KDevelop would load the lang support for it. Shall it
also load language documentation? I don't know. It would be cool to hear some
ideas...

Ideas:
- "webindex" format
just like we can search for "kde:kdiroperator" in Konqueror, we need to be
able to do that from "Index" page in doc plugin.
doc plugin would also support more smart search - like for "kde:ktexteditor"
it would show "KTextEditor::Plugin", "KTextEditor::Document", etc. in the

PS:
I think it may be practical to port existing code to KDE4 (requires only
switching to model-view architecture), write the new Qt documentation plugin
(understand new format), disable htdig search and remove kdevtoc stuff and
then we can tackle all other problems later.