Default for the Buildset widget

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Sep 5 22:53:04 UTC 2008

Hi,

apparently we have a small problem :( Manuel today comitted a change to
the project treeview hiding the buildset widget by default. I reverted
that change and he and myself had a conversation about this.

Unfortunately we two can just agree to disagree, which means we should
get input from some more people. So here's the deal (and I hope despite
me having an opposite opinion I represent Manuel's arguments properly).

IMHO the buildset widget should be shown by default in the project
treeview to make sure people realize its there. In the past I've seen
various people starting with KDevelop3 and having difficulties to find
certain features that we devs use all day. Actually this is not limited
to KDevelop3, I'm seeing the same thing every day at work with Eclipse.

When the buildset widget is hidden its IMHO barely visible, its just a
small toolview that easily gets missed in all the GUI - especially with
files open.

Manuel OTOH thinks basically the opposite, that the green arrow is
visible enough and that the widget being hidden doesn't mean people will
run to our user list and IRC channel and ask us a dozen times/day how to
build. Or blog about how KDevelop4 makes it hard to build individual
targets.

Now what bothers me, Manuel and probably others as well is that you have
to close the widget every single time you restart kdevelop. This is a
technical problem that will be solved sooner or later (hi adymo, where's
that next ui library?), so I think this argument is simply a temporary
thing.

I'd be ok if we manage to make the buildset widget occupy less vertical
space by default, i.e. the tableview just using space for 2 rows instead
of the 4 or 5 it has space for right now. Not sure how thats done best.
I'd also be ok with making the text smaller in the table-view, or other
such changes.

So what does the rest of the community think?

After your lover has gone you will still have PEANUT BUTTER!