Release Plan

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Mon Oct 20 15:30:13 UTC 2008

On Sunday 19 October 2008 04:23:23 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 19.10.08 10:02:50, M Breugelmans wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > until further notice the KDE 4.2 Release Schedule is used for the
> > > tagging dates. That means that I won't do the tagging myself, but will
> > > rely on Dirk to do it. I'll just increase the version numbers before
> > > the tagging.
> > >
> > > So Alpha3 will be tagged on monday, 21st.
> > >
> > > The schedule is here:
> > > http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.2_Release_Schedule
> >
> > Can you explain a bit how this influences commits? I think adymo said
> > something earlier about exempt from feature freeze?
>
> It doesn't. We're still in alpha-release state, which means we have no
> freezes, no matter what the KDE release schedule says. At the point where
> we decide to do our first beta, we'll have a hard feature freeze. That
> means all unfinished features need to be backed out/disabled and we're
> going to fix all the bugs (this includes ui-fixes of course). I'm not yet
> sure wether we'll release Beta1 at the end of January next year, that
> depends on our progress in the next 2.3 months. In any way a beta1 will be
> announced here about 4 weeks before the actual freeze+tagging, so there'll
> be enough "warning time" :)

So if we've started a feature, we don't get time to finish it? That's not even
how the KDE release schedule works. If you start new features before the hard
feature freeze, then we should have the opportunity to finish/bugfix the
features, IMO.

> So thats what my plans are currently, anybody who has different
> opinions/suggestions feel free to speak up.
>
> Andreas

We can always keep releasing alpha snapshots until we're comfortable.
--
Matt