target url from the project manager

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Oct 16 22:54:05 UTC 2008

On 16.10.08 16:48:05, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Thursday 16 October 2008 05:08:33 M Breugelmans wrote:

> > > Hmm, I thought the test-foo would still create a real target.

> > > There's two things I don't like much with your idea:
> > >
> > > a) we can't change interfaces once they're released without breaking BiC
> >
> > I'm not familiar with BiC problems but doesn't that only apply in
> > between major releases? If that's the case it's not that much of a
> > problem with a 6-month release cycle.
> >

> No, it applies for series numbers. So we can't break BC again until KDevelop
> 5.

Thats actually a bit over-simplifying matters. trunk/kdevelop doesn't have
any notion of BiC because its just an executable+plugins. None of them need
to keep BC. trunk/kdevplatform on the other hand consists of public API in
libraries, which means you can't break BC in any 1.x release. However so
far we're not promising that the second release of kdevplatform will be
1.1, it might be 2.0 - because we find that we need to break BC. I'm pretty
sure the third public feature release will be 2.1, else we're doing
something wrong :)

Try to have as good a life as you can under the circumstances.