options to run

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Oct 12 21:47:09 UTC 2008

On 12.10.08 22:43:20, Aleix wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On 12.10.08 21:04:31, Aleix wrote:
> > > As for what we have now, the a run-target has an executable, arguments
> > and
> > > some other options like that, but nothing that links to the ProjectModel,
> > > that's why I proposed the BuildSet to be executed, because it is supposed
> > > be the files that the user want to have compiled all the time.
> > >
> > > The other option would be to have 2 cases: the case where we're executing
> > > project target where we could specify it to be compiled and the case of
> > > something else.
> >
> > Ok, thanks now I understand you a lot better. Hmm, I want to be able to
> > right-click a target in the project model and say "run", which should
> > create a target that builds that item before running it of course. But also
> > we need support for specifying any executable and just run it...
> >
> > The only thing I'm not sure about right now is how the GUI to select
> > between executable and target should be and how to select targets from the
> > project model. Things that would be cool
> >
> > - choosing a target fills in the 'executable' line with the built or
> >  installed version of that target, but disables editing of it
>
> Agree, this would be cool.

s/would be cool/is a must have :) Not necessarily for 4.0 though.

> > - somehow switch to "executable" mode, which disables choosing a target
> > - show a tree of dirs+targets for choosing a target
> > - for target-mode choose what to do before running it (build, install,
> >  install as root, none of that)
>
> Why don't we take advantage of the buildsets? How do buildsets fit in this
> idea?

What are you thinking of? Adding the target to the buildsystem? Might not
be good, think about developing KDevelop. You're working on shell in the
runcontroller, but to test you want to run kdevelop. So adding kdevelop
target to the buildset is not useful. In fact maybe we need something more
extensive:

- be able to either directly put a url for an executable to run
- choose a runnable target from the project tree as target to run
- define a list of dependent targets/dirs/files from the project tree that
  should be built before running this target - no matter wether we used a
  project-item target or just a plain executable

Yeah I think thats what we should have. That way I can work on my
kdevplatform plugin and have KDevelop build it before running kdevelop.
Plus I don't need kdevelop open as project necessarily, because I can just
use the installed app. This is something developers of "external" plugins
are going to like, think about plasma devs writing their plugin and just
executing a script which re-starts plasma so it finds the new plugin and
loads it.

Do I make sense?

You have a strong appeal for members of your own sex.