[patch] Switch opened files

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 12 13:35:13 UTC 2008

Am Sonntag, 12. Oktober 2008 15:24:37 schrieb Vladimir Prus:
> On Sunday 12 October 2008 17:08:48 M Breugelmans wrote:
> > Currently it is a pain to switch between opened files. I use the
> > project wide quick-open all the time, which kind of defeats the idea
> > behind tracking which files have been opened. Attached is a fix. It
> > uses the quick open framework but limits items to open files.
> >
> > When would you use this instead of project wide?
> >
> > (a) the file you want to switch to does not belong to a project
> > (b) name of the file temporarily slips your mind but you know it's opened
> > (c) fewer keystrokes to get to the right file, especially true for
> > partially or fully identical names (eg 'config')
> >
> > Any objections against this? I don't think it's feature creep for the
> > reasons mentioned above, plus it doesn't add any new UI which is good.
> > More importantly quick-open scales extremely well.
>
> Why don't we have a single command to switch to a file, with already opened
> files shown at the top, and all files in the project below them? This way,
> you don't have to remember if the file you need is opened or not.
>
> - Volodya

Yeah right that would probably be even better, because it would be just one
shortcut for both.

@Manuel: To achieve that, you just need to add the data-provider you wrote to
the normal list of data-providers for files, enable it by default, make sure
it's at the top of the list, and give other icons and maybe a text
like "Currently open, last edited at ..." as htmlDescription to the items.

Greetings, David