Events editor

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Nov 11 13:41:35 UTC 2008

On 11.11.08 15:10:21, BogDan Vatra wrote:
> 2008/11/11, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:

> >> Please give me something to read .
> >
> > Ok, this one I don't understand :)
>
> :) I need some docs to see how to create a custom signal/slot editor
> for designer.

Look at Qt's api docs and the source code of designer. There are no
documentations about how to write a designer integration or how its
signal/slot editor works - aside from the source.

> >> Ok. But I cant promise you this will be ready for 4.0. I don't want to
> >> think how hard is to rewrite the signal/slot editor.
> >
> > I don't expect any of this to be done for 4.0 actually. I'm also not saying
> > you need to start on this right now. I was just trying to explain what the
> > ultimate goal is for the signal/slot editor in KDevelops designer
> > integration. Its totally fine if you start with adding a new editor that
> > allows to create auto-connect slots.
> >
> > I still am not sure I want to ship the designer integration with 4.0,
> > because its still "half-baked" and needs quite a bit of work.
>
> What a pity, I use the designer integration from kdevelop every day ;((

You'll still be able to simply install it from sources, I'm not going to
delete it, just move it elsewhere.

> >> Please give me some docs.
> >
> > Docs for what? You mean what a fully integrated designer might allow? Well
> > for one, it'll provide the language information for the .ui files, i.e. a
> > declaration for each widget, with declarations for all the subwidgets.
> > (similar to what the C++ support knows after seeing the ui_xxx.h file).
> > Then there is custom widgets which we want to support, i.e. write a class
> > inside KDevelop and kdevelop will show it inside the designer - on-the-fly.
> >
> > I think we currently don't have any real docs of these ideas, there might
> > be some available in our wiki in the KDevelop4 section though.
> >

> If we have to rewrite the signal/slot editor we need to know how to
> read all connections from ui file, and how to write this connections
> back to ui file.

I'm not sure you actually need that. After all when you design the form
then the widgets do exist already in memory. So in theory you just need to
find them and ask them for the metaobject. The metaobject has all the
information about signals and slots. I'm pretty sure you'll see something
like that when you look into the signal/slot editor code in Qt designer.

All the troubles you have will pass away very quickly.