KDE/kdevplatform/shell

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 6 20:06:11 UTC 2008

Am Donnerstag, 6. November 2008 20:57:07 schrieb Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen:
>   Having thought a little more deeply about this whole mental model of "All
> files are open" over the last few days, it has dawned on me that really,
> that's what we already have - the search-through-everything code model in
> KDevelop4 indicates that it already keeps the entirety of the project in
> memory (i know this isn't *really* the case and such, but... you know). So,
> in short: I agree that it makes sense to not have a tab bar, but more like
> a breadcrumbs trail a la Dolphin's one :)

This just won't work unless we have a really good hint to show a limited set
of files to the user that he's working on. I don't want to have to remember
that. Tabs don't scale well, but at least they help with that. I would feel
totally lost if I could only navigate using history while working on 8
different files in the same time.

So we first need to develop a good replacement, something like the "working
file sets" we once were talking about, before we can start thinking about
removing the tabs. Seriously, a dropdown-list is not the answer! We had that
once, and we all aggreed that it sucked..

Greetings, David