KDevelop: General direction and UI - don't worry

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Nov 4 18:50:14 UTC 2008

On 04.11.08 18:20:53, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 November 2008 18:14:21 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Although I think that a plugin installation system from within the IDE
> > > (like eclipse's or khotnewstuff) would be much better. We want to make it
> > > as _easy_ as possible to install just this single extra plugin, nobody
> > > likes messing with installation stuff. Preferably even with some kind of
> > > search for discoverability.
> >
> > The problem with that is compiling that stuff, or providing binary packages
> > for most/all distributions. Anyway, thats for the mid-term future, lets
> > concentrate on 4.0.
>
> Actually, that's not that hard to do. We can use opensuse's build service and
> cater for 90% of the distributions.

Last I checked the support for debian distro's is still not properly
working and apparently the maintainers don't care too much. But who knows
whats it going to be

> It will be also possible to set up build
> farms for windows and macos.

Well, as I said recently on IRC: KDE4/Windows will take another year or two to
be actually usable. Not to even talk about the insane amount of kde4
installations you need there (one for each compiler version and possibly
again for debug vs. release).

Don't read any sky-writing for the next two weeks.