KDevelop: General direction and UI - don't worry

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Nov 4 18:42:22 UTC 2008

On 04.11.08 19:19:22, Niko Sams wrote:
> We also need to find a place for plugins that don't belong to
> kdevplatform (not generic)
> but still are useful for KDevelop _and_ Quanta.
> Best example is Php language support. One could argue it should be in
> quanta - but
> why does one have to install Quanta to get Php support in KDevelop?
> (Php can be used
> to do not just web-stuff - I use it for shell scripts very often)

Thats called extragear/devtools/kdevelop4-plugins (name and actual place
subject to change). If you have something releaseable feel free to talk to
sysadmins about creating the directory structure (or let me know and I'll
do that). In general I agree though, we had and still have a couple of
users who go through all the pain that KDevelop3/Php is because they don't
need the web-stuff as they do pure PHP stuff.

> Also think about Java langauge support. (though it will take
> considerable work to get it
> out of playground)

Exactly, so we can wait until its done :)

> All those VCS-Plugins (the well-tested and working ones) could be
> placed there too.

Well, there are currently 2 well-tested and working ones: Git+Subversion,
then there's CVS, which is AFAIK mostly tested, but basically unmaintained
(and the latter means its place is playground) and Mercurial/Bazaar which
are both started but need considerable amount of work before being
releaseable.

Next Friday will not be your lucky day.  As a matter of fact, you don't
have a lucky day this year.