KDevelop: General direction and UI - don't worry

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Nov 4 16:14:21 UTC 2008

On 04.11.08 17:01:32, Manuel Breugelmans wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 November 2008 16:46:18 Aleix wrote:
> > Maybe we should start to create the extragear plugin project as we have
> > said other times...
>
> +1
>
> Although I think that a plugin installation system from within the IDE (like
> eclipse's or khotnewstuff) would be much better. We want to make it as _easy_
> as possible to install just this single extra plugin, nobody likes messing
> with installation stuff. Preferably even with some kind of search for
> discoverability.

The problem with that is compiling that stuff, or providing binary packages
for most/all distributions. Anyway, thats for the mid-term future, lets
concentrate on 4.0.

> Imo plugins in this extragear should NOT equal
> untested/unused/buggy/unfinished, but rather rock solid stuff that might only
> apply to a smaller audience.

Thats why actually anything that won't be released with 4.0 will be moved
to playground/devtools/kdevelop4-extra-plugins. Thats the place where they
belong. From there anybody can pick up the code, test it and make it ready
for a release. Only at that point do we need the extragear module, because
only then can something be moved there.

You will be divorced within a year.