KDevelop: General direction and UI - don't worry

Kris Wong wongk at seapine.com
Mon Nov 3 22:01:13 UTC 2008

+1 from me (as a user).  I agree with everything said.  KDevelop 4, as it is, does not break paradigm from the most widley adopted IDEs on the market.  Sure, it makes sense to keep the polish of the application in mind when developing, but I could care less if KDevelop has vertical text (etc...).

The main concern should be with providing the user with the tools they need to do their job, and keeping those tools as dsicoverable as possible.  When it comes down to it, any IDE that is not overwhelming to a new user is going to have 100 open feature requests, for features that would make the IDE overwhelming to a new user.  There is always going to be a learning curve.  We're all developers, we can get over it.

Kris Wong