Toolviews

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Nov 3 14:48:40 UTC 2008

On 03.11.08 13:49:45, David Nolden wrote:
> I've got an idea how we could somewhat solve the "hard to read vertical text"
> problem on the dock buttons, and at the same time make the docks more usable.
>
> What about this: If you hover a dock-button, and that dock is not open yet, it
> should be automatically expanded in non-attached mode(Overlapping the
> editor-area or the currently open dock on that side).
>
> Then the user can see what the docks are by just hovering them, and when he
> wants to keep a dock, he'd click it. The dock should be usable, and should
> disappear as soon as the mouse leaves the dock-button/dock area.
>
> Then imo we also would not need that "attach/unattach" button any more.
>
> I think this would improve the usability of our docks.

+1 from me, I've read all the comments in your blog and I do agree that its
not exactly obvious what those buttons do.

Another thing which we should try to tackle is getting closer connection
between a button and the widget it shows (as you say in one of the
comments), something like a very thing frame around the button+wigdet. Not
sure wether thats doable.

On a side note: I've personally refrained from hacking at sublime too much,
because even though there's no code to show yet, Alex is doing some larger
refactoring on Sublime's design. Unfortunately as often his time is cut
short and it might take until december to get this in.

Excellent day for putting Slinkies on an escalator.