Test Compilation [was: Re: Kdevelop4 gsoc]

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun May 11 19:55:52 UTC 2008

On 11.05.08 14:29:40, Manuel Breugelmans wrote:
> On Sunday 11 May 2008 09:38:58 Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > Well, you already know how I feel about editing user scripts, I don't
> > > really think that messing with it is a good idea...
> >
> > Well, thats why I said both need to be there. People that generally use
> > the GUI for their buildsystem will use b), others that know their
> > buildsystem will use option a) anyway :)
> >
> > > But anyway, my point is that you shouldn't do it buildtool dependent,
> >
> > Exactly my point, use the API we already have:
> > BuildSystemManager::createTargetItem()
>
> Probably concepts like 'test-build' and 'test-run' target are needed here,
> next to the conventional build-run-debug. The run target could then either
> depend on test-build one(s) or some form of external specification, the
> exectuables/object code.

You're mixing things a bit here. A "target" in the sense of a
buildsystem is a buildable item, i.e. an executable or shared library
for native apps built from a couple of source files. Running is done by
a different framework, which has the concept of configuration types and
actual launch configurations. As Vladimir already said we should have
custom config types for the various testing framework which know how to
execute a specific testcase. In the case of QtTest a testcase would be a
target-item from the buildsystem which uses the QtTest facilities.

> Ok I'll split it up in different plugins.

Yeah, I think thats the best thing to do, also with the config-type
stuff in mind. So each testing-framework-plugin can contribute its own
config-type.

> The backend for visualizing runner
> progress is generic already with a clean interface so this wont require much
> work. To implement support for a framework you need to:
> 1. Subclass a RunnerItem and implement the run method
> 2. Subclass a RunnerModel with specific test registration

I really need to check out the API/code :)

You will be the last person to buy a Chrysler.