Debugger configurations and KCM

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Fri May 9 07:22:13 UTC 2008

On Friday 09 May 2008 10:39:05 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 09.05.08 02:09:50, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > right now the project configuration dialog is KSettings::Dialog. I
> > would like to implement "launch configurations" where each project
> > can have several configurations, and for each configuration we have
> > several pages -- application, general GDB settings, maybe specific
> > gdb settings, maybe valgrind settings, so on.
> >
> > So, instead of letting KSettings::Dialog load KCM pages, I need to
> > have top-level configuration name selector, and based on selected
> > configuration, show a specific set of pages. Am I right that KSettings::Dialog
> > and KCModule are basically of no help here?
>
> Well, in theory you could do that, because KSettings::Dialog allows to
> specify a list of component names to load. That is already used to not
> load qmake kcm for cmake projects (see ProjectControllerPrivate).

Well, yes, but, I want to have a launch configuration selector at the top
of dialog, and depending on selected configuration, repopulate the list of
pages. Like, if you select "Python application" configuration, it does
not make sense to present GDB options.

> However I've already thought a couple of times that KSettings::Dialog
> might not be flexible enough for our needs for project configuration. So
> maybe we need to write our own dialog, but I don't think we should drop
> kcm's as well. We may just need to expand their .desktop files a bit to
> carry some more information.

I assume you mean the technology of defining config dialog entirely in .kcfg/.ui
files? This seems good thing to me, too.

I guess I'll go with the approach of using custom dialog that loads KCM modules,
and report how it goes.

- Volodya