Tool buttons alignment

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Fri May 2 18:04:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2 May 2008 04:49:41 pm Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Alexander, Hamish,
>
> yesterday on IRC Alexander and I talked that it would be nice to have the
> left side or the bottom tool buttons bar to be aligned with the left side
> of the editor area. Now, the left side is at the left side of the window,
> which makes it unclear what that left button applies to.
>
> I've looked into implementing this, but it's not exactly straightforward.
> Right now, main window uses QGridLayout at top level, having the tool
> button bars and the central area. The central area uses IdealMainLayout as
> layout. So, keeping the button bar left aligned with the editor even if
> left tool is shown and hidden is gonna be messy. I think the best way would
> be to make tool button bars managed by the same IdealMainLayout. Some
> questions:
>
> 1. Does this sound remotely sensible?
> 2. Hamish, I think you was doing some big redux of layout code. Is it now
> done and checked in? If not, but going in soon, I guess I can wait a bit,
> and otherwise I'll just hack on the current code.

No, I'm not changing that code any time soon, my custom layout branch was only
for the center widget(s) which seems unlikely to be needed at present anyway
(as long as Alexander can implement delayed view loading, which it currently
doesn't).

I still think it will look wierd for the buttons to jump around when views are
closed and opened, but with the way you plan to implement it we could even
make the tool views use that area of the screen rather than leave it empty.

Cheers,
Hamish.