KDE/kdevplatform [POSSIBLY UNSAFE]

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Jun 27 14:56:00 UTC 2008

On 27.06.08 08:38:44, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Friday 27 June 2008 02:03:14 Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > I don't think that this makes sense. How is a unit testing library
> > > a general plugin to have for more than just kdevelop? Why can't we
> > > move this to the platform when another application actually needs
> > > to use it instead of just assuming there will be another app that
> > > will actually use it?
> >
> > You're misunderstanding. What is now in kdevplatform (or rather what
> > should be there, I didn't have time yet to look into it closely) is a
> > support library to write plugins for kdevelop that support running
> > testcases for a specific unit testing framework. It aims in the same
> > direction as eclipse TPTP (just not so extensive currently). Its AFAIK
> > currently mostly the duplicated code from the 3 unit-test-framework
> > implementations we have in kdevelop.
>
> Thanks for clarifying that for me. I was indeed misunderstanding.
>
> Even though I was misunderstanding, are we ready for this in kdevplatform now?
> If we released tomorrow, would we have issues with BC, for example? I know
> that we're not releasing tomorrow, but that's the mindset we should attempt to
> take with things like this, IMHO.

IMHO you're wrong there:

a) we only need to care about that once we start the release cycle -
i.e. probably with the first Beta no BC changes. There are BiC changes
going on all over the place in platform these days.

b) we agreed that we don't promise BC of platform between KDevelop4.0
and 4.1, i.e. we allow the platform libs to mature within our first
minor release.

Green light in A.M. for new projects.  Red light in P.M. for traffic tickets.